Lift - A Journey For Strength & Performance #3 - Maintaining Strength During Travels
I am currently in week 2, sadly the final week, of my amazing travels through SE Asia. I began this trip with the intention to focus on bodyweight strength training as a means to maintain strength and improve on some weaknesses I have. Bodyweight training is one of those modalities I've been wanting to integrate more into my training program back home because I believe movements like Pistol Squats, One Arm Push-Ups, Pull-Ups/Chin-Ups, L-Sits, Levers, etc are the ultimate demonstration of body control and mastery - just check out the gymnasts during the Olympics!
I've found these movements, when practiced regularly, help with creating unilateral strength and balance (i.e. try doing a Pistol Squat with a pause and if that's too easy add a 24/36/40kg+ kettlebell!), improve shoulder strength & mobility (i.e. One Arm Push Ups, Handstands, and any moves that use the arms as your base of support), and impressive core strength.
Below are a few sample videos & photos with descriptions of my training in SE Asia. For reference, OTG = On The Go.
WORKOUT OTG #1
1. Seated L-Sits 5 sets x 6 reps hold 2sec
2. Low to High Plank to Side Plank 5 sets x 3 reps each side
3. Push-Up (PUP) Matrix 5 sets x 1 rep. 1 rep = PUP in middle, One hand forward, Middle, Opposite had forward, Middle, Step one hand to the side, Middle, Opposite hand step to the side, Middle to T-PUP, Middle to opposite side T-PUP.
4. Beast Kicks 5 sets x 3 reps each side. Search Animal Flow for tutorial.
Circuit B (not shown in video)
1. Push Ups (PUP) x 50 reps. Break up in as few sets as needed
2. Pull-Ups x 50 reps. Break up in as few sets as needed
WORKOUT OTG #2
This one's all about TUT = Time Under Tension aka Pauses. Here's the protocol:
1. Crow Pose to Head Stand hold 5 sec + Leg Raise + Back to Crow Pose, 3 sets x 5 reps
1. 3-Way Pistol Squat = Forward + Side + Curtsey hold each for 5 sec, 3 sets x 3 reps each
2. Pull-Ups hold 5 sec @ Top, 3 sets x 5 reps
WORKOUT OTG #3
Many hotels have pools. This was a fun low impact workout. Here's the protocol:
1. I worked on my swim kicking technique with hands on the pool's edge for 60 sec followed by 5 laps freestyle (not shown). This pool was tiny - maybe 10 meters again focusing on my kicks. x 3 sets
2. L-Sit + Knee Tuck hold for 2 sec. 3 sets x 5 reps
3. 3-Way Pistol Squat = Forward, Side, & Curtsey. 3 sets x 5 reps each
4. Stay hydrated with a fresh coconut! (or other comparable electrolyte drink)